Thursday, October 18, 2007

Peru Day 3 - Lima

Saturday September 15th

Slept until 11am, man that felt good! We were up late talking so needed the rest. We all have to get up real early Sunday so no chance tomorrow.

Had my usual Sunrider and an orange (or maybe it was a tangerine, I think those are more common here). I went to the park for a while and browsed the artists displaying their work. Almost bought a painting for $40-50 but wanted to wait until Cusco and see what I found there, might be cheaper. I figured I'll be back in Lima for a Sunday before I leave so I'll see these same artists again anyway. Is hard to tell if it is original and they did it or not.

I also bought this sweater below, which I wore almost every day and slept in! It is so fuzzy and warm, I love it. Even has a hood. Also got gloves and socks for myself. Alpaca wool.



Then I was meeting up with some of the ladies who were going downtown to the cathedral with Washi. I hadn't met them all yet so I was anxious to do so. I ended up waiting for over an hour for them as Washi got tied up helping Michelle fix her travel arrangements for Sunday and Arla and Susan fix their phone cards. So I grabbed some lunch at a place close by, was great. They had a special for 9 Soles, chicken, two side dishes and one sauce.

Not bad for $3 hey?! Chicken, babies potatoes, yams and salsa.


So they arrived and I met Sonja, Susan and Arla. Michelle didn't come with us she was tired and Myrna had taken a taxi on ahead as she thought we had left without her. We all got there anyway. Here's a shot of us ladies at Plaza des Armas in Lima. Washi took this one.

Me, Arla, Susan and Sonja

They all went to the cathedral, found Myrna and did some shopping. They wanted sweaters like mine. I wandered around the square and a few blocks around the area - mostly taking photos and browsing at things. Great Spanish inspired architecture. Is an old city too.

I saw the changing of the guards outside the palace too. Was a whole lot of hoopla and fanfare. A band came out and played and marched around. Then two new guys came out, shook hands of the other guys and they switched. That was it. LOL. I had bought a fresh squeezed papaya juice but the lady put in water from a pitcher and I didn't trust it was filtered or bottled so Washi took it and gave it to one of the street vendor ladies. Here are some of the photos I took there:















In the evening Arla, Michelle and I had dinner. I negotiated 2 free pisco sours with dinner at the place we had lunch Thursday. Risotto with scampi was really good! Diana joined us and Arla went to visit friends in Lima. We browsed the night market in the park
and bought some earrings.

Set some intentions for traveling to Cusco the next day. At this point my navel piercing is really inflamed. It had been irritated from the first day in Lima and I have tried all sorts of natural remedies and it isn't getting better. Is itchy at this point and starting to drive me insane.

But I WILL be 100% fine at high altitude! That was my intention before even leaving sea level.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home